artist statement 1

My work is fundamentally driven by an insular desire to either enjoy myself or reassert myself. According to this I like to make fast work which lavishes in the glory of texture, shape, and colour. The simplicity of the method is important to my joyful experience of art making - I like to drip and glue and mash things together like a toddler chewing a toy. The emotional process of making continues into the directly personal when I use printed text and pictures to exhibit myself in a more literal way, a result perhaps of formative years spent being more of a blog than a person. The tactile nature of re-printed text and photographs is something I find enchanting, and physically altering the resultant paper objects is something I treat as a way of being responsible for my own destruction, excitement, and adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment